Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Power of a Pen

I picked the boy up from school today and we went to the park at the duck pond to spend some time outside and enjoy the awesome weather we've had.



I let Nicholas play on the playground for a little while but when he was ready for a break I told him that I had a surprise for him. I handed him a small package that came in the mail today for him from Granddad Owen. He excitedly opened it up and was glad to see an LSU pen (notice from his shirt that he had strawberries for lunch today - why does he think his shirt is a napkin?)



Nicholas loves LSU Tigers and even asked yesterday if McDonald's might have LSU Tiger toys in their Happy Meals someday. Anyway, this isn't just a regular old pen. No. This one plays the LSU Fight Song! How cool! Well, Nicholas had to run back to the playground and show all of the kids his new pen that plays music.

Then he had to go play the music for the ducks who were trying to take their afternoon siestas by the pond. Well, of course the ducks didn't appreciate a little four year old boy running up to them with a music-playing pen so they ran away. Hmmm, what do you think happened next? The four year old boy loved the response and created a new game - "Chase the Ducks with the LSU Fight Song Pen".



I let Nicholas play for a little longer on the playground before we left. At one point he was playing near the fence and bent down to pick something up. He came running over to me and said that these were for me. Sweet!



Thanks for the pen, Granddad! Nicholas loves it and has been playing that song over and over and over and over and over again ALL day long. He even wanted to bring the pen to bed with him tonight. I love the song but it's stuck in my head now and driving me crazy. You are so thoughtful to send this to us - how can I ever repay you? :)

No comments: